It absorbs up to 40% of its weight.
In airtight conditions or in a completely closed container.
No. Silica gel is totally non-toxic.
Silica gel is like sand. If swallowed by someone, it is not harmful to human's body and can be easily excreted.
Various kinds of Silica gels (indicating & non-indicating) can be regenerated and reused by directly heating them at 100-120 ° Centigrade for 3-4 hours. However, having been regenerated, some of their absorbing capacity is reduced. Therefore, using the regenerated one is not recommended for sensitive cases.
It has a wide range of applications and is used in most industries (such as oil, gas and petrochemical/pharmaceutical/medical equipment/military/packing/transport/electronics/telecommunications and etc.) as protection against humidity and erosion.
No, it does not dissolve in not only water but also any kinds of solvents.
No, but in some cases it might make skin dry. Therefore, for those who have sensitive skin, using gloves is recommended.
Yes, for instance, to dry natural flowers especially sensitive ones such as lilium you can use Silica gel. One of the general applications of Silica gel is using it as pet litter which because of its high absorption of humidity, odour and also its non-toxicity can be used as pets or even birds bedding.